Sunday 9 June 2013

Living Walls

5th May this year was memorable, for me anyway. On this day I abseiled down the side of The House of Fraser, a department store in Birmingham City Centre. One of many, raising funds for the Lord Mayor of Birmingham charities. I am sure I felt the way countless participants feel who have tackled this particular fund raiser. Moderate enthusiasm 3 months in advance of the day; nothing over the top (to coin a phrase) but quietly confident. Then, totally scared at the top of the wall at the event. It’s the leaning back off the ledge bit, especially when the army personnel person said ‘hold it there, I’ll take your photo’. Mmmmmm.... Of course I felt inordinately pleased with myself at the bottom. (Not so pleased I would do it again though. Having achieved that little challenge, I am moving on—other things to do, places to go, forget about the t-shirt).

It was whilst I was in sliding and flailing mode on the way down that Living Walls came to mind. That is of course so not true! I was thinking more along the lines of staying alive. Not singing, just thinking.

Living walls only came to mind when I was down, with both feet firmly planted on the ground - unlike living walls that are , as the name indicates, planted vertically. Birmingham has sprouted several impressive living walls. There is a lovely one near to New Street Station and very long and impressive stretch near to Snow Hill Station. These walls have become rather fashionable of late and I find them fascinating but the monitoring and watering etc., needs rather extensive, not to say expensive equipment. It has been fun, however, looking online to see alternative ways of creating living walls in the garden should you feel so inclined. Recycled bottles and felt pouches feature quite frequently. Pinterest is always good value for ideas in the garden and I am often inspired and spend many a happy hour mulling over ideas. The mulling and the doing are, of course, quite separate activities and after consideration I am leaving my garden walls to the ivy. It would be a shame to disturb this ideal location for the nesting birds. Ideal that is apart from the predator magpies.

Another inspiration via Pinterest has been an insect hotel and I am planning one for Sarehole Mill Gardens. Constant news items about declining species are disturbing so we will ‘do our bit’ at Sarehole using materials that are there already, just lying around expectantly, waiting to be recycled in a useful but hopefully, artistic way, as per those examples on Pinterest - perhaps!

The gardens around Sarehole Mill have finally sprouted greenery and flowers. Togetherness seems to be the order of the day. Many that should be blossoming at different times, are blooming side by side. The volunteers continue to maintain the perennial butterfly and bee garden. The ivy garden flourishes interspersed with wild garlic which has insinuated itself in the midst. Must watch this; beautiful though the flowers look, the plant can take over. We have totally transformed the area under the Yew Tree from a dry, balding area of total non-lawn into a romantic woodland patch. I am particularly struck with the way the afternoon sunlight filters through the yew tree branches and highlights the ferns and foxgloves. It looks stunning at the moment.

Another achievement of which I am proud is my personal ‘laying of the stepping stones’ which I tackled last week, finishing off the professionally laid landscaping project started earlier in the year. I was not particularly pleased at how stiff I felt the next day. Must remember my age. Well no! Must not remember my age. You are as young as you feel, they say. Stepping stone laying day - feeling 25, day after - 95! Not to worry. Onwards! So much to do. Keep breathing.

We volunteers in the Gardening Club have continued to plant in the fernery, adding woodland wild flowers to the mix. The cow parsley continues to dominate though. The annual wild flower border alongside the mill pool has not responded well so we shall be planting suitable perennials along this stretch shortly, and should the annuals feel put out by these intruders and put on a spurt they can grow through the perennials if they so wish. They will, of course, be welcome whatever they decide to do.

I was overjoyed last week to see that a pair of mallards had a brood of seven ducklings. That was on the Tuesday. By Thursday the youngsters had disappeared, leaving no trace except two rather lonely and disconsolate (I imagine) parents. Alarm bells! A mink had apparently been sighted near the mill. Hope it is a solitary specimen and moves on, and does not see Sarehole as a desirable residence. Such voracious appetities. I know this from past experience having witnessed the devastation to wild life they can cause. A baby duckling is a mere starter in the banquet of life for a mink.

Birmingham has been selected to represent the U.K. in 'Entente Florale' this year, effectively the 'Europe in Bloom' competition. July will see judges descending on the mill as they include it in their tour of the gardens and parks of Birmingham. I do feel that our gardening club should be optimistic that our efforts will draw approval. We have wonderful volunteers turning up in all weathers to maintain this garden oasis in the heart of Birmingham. We are a living wall of workers, albeit horizontal rather than vertical, but nevertheless creating leafy, lush, and lovely gardens, well worth visiting if you are anywhere nearby. Coffee and cake in the cafe anyone?




No comments:

Post a Comment