Saturday 13 July 2013

Armchair Gardening

I enjoy watching gardening programmes the way other people love watching cookery programmes. I confess I do not watch many of these, but I suspect that some people, like myself, do not actually try out the recipes in much the same way that I don’t carry out many of the tips and ideas relating to the garden.

Having said that I was inspired by the gardens in the Chelsea flower show. This year I was particularly pleased to be fashionably in tune with the cow parsley which is abundant at the bottom of our garden. I am trying expand the wild flower area and the cow parsley is a willing and enthusiastic participant, albeit having turned brown and wilty in the sunshine. Red campion is also doing well.

What joy to see the mass of purple alliums raising their heads above the other perennial plants at this year’s show. ’Look’ I said excitedly to my husband, (who has recently become an enthusiastic watcher of gardening programmes as well). ’Look’, we have those in our garden. We have three actually and it is a wonder to me that they are not where I planted them; in a group of three, together, in a clump. Obviously loners, they have wandered off to lead solitary and thoughtful lives away from each other where the overall effect is rather underwhelming.

Perrennial geraniums have become my favourite plant of all time (also in tune with the people’s choice at the Chelsea Flower Show). How in tune I am becoming. I love these plants because they are bushy, flower for a long time and are easy to maintain and they here lots and lots of different varieties. Wonderful.

I have planted carrots. Monty Don warned about carrot fly. I did take his advice to heart and have planted onions nearby (to disguise the carrot smell) together with a ‘wall’ of fine willow sticks. The fly tend to fly in at a height of 4” we are told. I shall take their word for this not feeling inclined to monitor their aerial displays. Anyway, having taken this advice I do expect good, straight, unmottled carrots. That is to say, good, round, unmottled carrots since they are globular carrots I bought by mistake.

Our garden is not ideal for vegetables, too much high vegetation and shadow but I feel I should make an effort. I do this with laundry, hanging out sheets and shirts to dry in the sunshine because of saving electricity and the lovely smell etc., when I would really like to just bung them in the tumble dryer and let them get on with it.

I have, however, just returned from a visit to my son and his family in the States and whilst there learned about Hugel Culture (or Hugel Kulture as they say online). Not heard of this? No, neither had I. But I investigated and I have now started a Hugel bed.

www.agrowingculture.org/2013/04/hugelkultur-the-composting-raised-beds

It is a great way to use up those piles rotting wood and prunings, not to mention leaves and compost and once created is supposed to be pretty self sufficient. It is necessary to dig a trench, layer at the bottom if you wish cardboard, and/or newspaper, drop in large logs, followed by smaller branches, followed by twigs, add leaves and/or compost, cover and leave.

Sounds like a recipe to me. We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment